Jackie Lampugnano askes herself how journalists are using social media. With Matt Lindner she had a conversation on his opinion about this issue. And it is basically so simple. Journalists are looking for story ideas and soacial media are a heartbeat of what is being said around and it is easy to make selection or search. Also they are engaging, being there, and giving an answer to what other people are looking for rather than pushing their own opinions.
Social media also are very good for the research: you already can read yourself into subjects or even ask questions that may rise. Twitter is a good example but the groups of LinkedIn also turn out to be a good source. And there are various more specialised groups around.
In the end, it’s about relationships. These are getting you further ahead in life. This is valuable for journalists, but for all people who want to be involved in social media. The social part of this term seems to bee looked over quite often. And that’s what makes the conversation useful.
- Writers: social media is a tool – not a magic bullet (epicblackcar.wordpress.com)
- Social media cheat sheet 2011 (drewsmarketingminute.com)
- How are journalists using social media? (socialmediaclub.org)
- Why Social Media Reinvigorates the Market for Quality Journalism (mashable.com)
- How would you define social media? (nevillehobson.com)